“The best time to look for a job in Australia is NOW.” That’s not always true. Y-AXIS, a visa and migration service company, puts it this way:
“Although the job vacancies in the nation are fairly steady for most of the year, there are greater opportunities for Australian jobs in specific months.”
If you want to increase your chances of getting hired, it might be better to put your job search on hold until a specific time of year. OK, you’re probably dying to know “When is the best time to look for a job in Australia?” Let’s find out…
The Best Time to Look for a Job in Australia
In most cases, the best time to look for a new job is at the end of the financial year (EOFY). In Australia, that’s on June 30, 2024. But why is it a good time to apply during the EOFY?
At the end of the financial year, many Australian companies release their fiscal results. If the reports are positive, these companies will start looking into where they can invest more money for the new financial year.
As new projects and new budgets are set up, many new job opportunities arise. It’s a good time to apply when the job market is active.
OK, it’s important to note that this doesn’t apply to ALL jobs.
Other businesses and companies wait for the new year before posting job ads and hiring new employees. If that’s the case, then January and February will be the peak time to look for a new job.
SEEK, Australia’s number 1 marketplace, reports that January usually sees a 21.8% increase in job listings, while February comes in with a 14.2% increase.
If your dream job is in the hospitality and retail role, then the ideal time to start job hunting is from September to November. As Christmas is fast approaching, these industries start to get very busy and will need extra hands.
The bottom line: For the most part, the best time of the year for job seekers in Australia is at the beginning of the financial year (July 1). However, other companies start hiring from Jan-Feb or Nov-Sept.
The Worst Time to Look for a Job in Australia
Leigh Broderick, SEEK’s Senior Analytics Manager, gives her take on this. “The quieter times of the year for job opportunities are traditionally in April and December, which is heavily impacted by the Easter and Christmas holidays. The end of the financial year in May and June also sees businesses slow down hiring until the new financial year when budgets and plans are finalized.” Following Broderick’s advice, try to avoid looking for a new job during April, May, June, and December.
Other Strategies to Secure a New Job in Australia
Yes, applying for jobs at the right time will help you land a job sooner. But that’s not the only thing you need to consider. Here are other ways to secure a job in Australia:
- Do your homework. From what you learned, the best time to look for a job in Australia will really depend on the company. If you research the company or industry you’re interested in, you’ll have a clearer picture of their common hiring calendar.
- Tailor your resume and cover letter. I say this ALL the time. Even if you perfectly time your job application submission, it won’t matter if your resume/cover letter is vague and generic. So be specific and always tailor it to the company’s job description. This is so important, which is why I help you as best I can to craft well-written resumes and cover letters.
- Find the right Australian job. Here’s one mistake that many job seekers make – they apply to any and all job offers they come across. Don’t do that as it’ll only waste time. Instead, pick out the jobs that suit your skill set and interest.
- Utilize job search websites. If you’re a foreigner looking for a job in Australia, then this is the best way to go. You can easily find job openings from the comfort of your home. You can check out SEEK and Careerjet to get started.
- Network, network, network. The more connections you have in Australia, the better your chances of landing a great job there. A great way to find connections is through LinkedIn or other social media platforms, as well as attending industry events.
- Improve your skills. The more skills you have, the more valuable you will be. I teach you how to sharpen your skills here.
- Prepare for a job interview. If you’re shortlisted for the first interview, this is a crucial time to impress the hiring manager. To prepare, you can read the job description again, highlight your key skills, list down your questions, get ready to answer common interview questions, etc…
The best time to look for a job in Australia is at the end of the financial year, the start of the new year, or near the end of the year. These are the times when the Australian job market is most active. Besides the timing, you should also work on the other factors that will help you secure your dream job.